- 4-6 sausages (preferably a combination of hot and honey-garlic, but any kind will do)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tbsps olive oil
- ½ one onion – diced – not too fine
- ½ one large green pepper – cut in chunks or half strips
- ½ one large red pepper – cut in chunks or half strips
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pkg whole wheat penne or other noodle of your choice
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Put all sausages into boiling water and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove sausages from water and allow to cool if you have the time. Slice sausages into medallions – approx 1/4” thickness. Set aside.
In a large pot, add oil and allow to heat over medium to high heat.
Add onion and sausage, stirring until mixed and onions start to soften.
Add salt and pepper, mixing thoroughly.
Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Reduce heat to medium-low, leaving lid of pot slightly tilted.
Allow to simmer for 1 ½ – 2 hours – checking and stirring regularly (you may have to add a bit of water if sauce thickens too much).
Approx ½ hour – 45 minutes before you want to eat, add green and red peppers to sauce.
Serve over pasta topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese