705 327-1807  
Store FrontLeskas

Store Pic

Store Pic

 

 
 

In June of 1961, Wolfgang and Christa Leska emigrated from Germany to Canada. Wolfgang was an accomplished butcher and by 1967, he and his wife were owners and operators of the Markham Delicatessen. They continued to run this deli until 1981, when they decided to take a break from the business and move north.

After only 5 years, they were back in the deli business again, this time taking over Orr’s Meat Market and transforming it in a couple short years to Leska’s Meat & Delicatessen.

With the help of their son, Erich, they grew the business over the next seven years until the sudden death of Wolfgang in 1995. At that time, Erich and Christa made the decision to continue with the business. Through the ensuing years, Erich honed his skills as both a butcher and manufacturer. Erich completed a spicing course at the University of Guelph, and further developed his ability to combine meat and spices for new flavours and wonderful seasonings.

Today, Leska’s continues to mix old world tradition with new world techniques to produce a wide array of prepared products. It is a true family business with Christa still behind the deli counter and Erich continuing to butcher and manufacture.

Over the last five years, the store has seen some changes with a barbecue being run out front from Victoria Day to Labour Day and the addition of cutting and manufacturing for the hunting season in the fall